Why MBA is the best option after engineering?

Why engineers go for MBA? Is it a waste of engineering talent or a better choice for a successful career? Spandan spoke to Pooja Dastidar, pursuing her MBA from NMIMS after her engineering degree and Mukti Maloo, an engineer turned MBA and working with Kellogg India Pvt. Ltd.

0
758

poojadastidar Pooja Dastidar, a 25-year old Bengali girl, born and brought up in Delhi. She pursued engineering in Electronics and Communication from Vellore. Post that, she worked with Schneider Electric for 3 years in the Energy Efficiency team, a marketing and business enablement team focussed on positioning Schneider Electric as a thought leader in the energy efficiency and energy management space.

Working in this role made me realise the importance of widening my knowledge base and enhancing my skills in the field of management, even if I wanted to lead a technical team. Thus, an MBA was imperative for me, to climb the ladder of corporate success at a faster pace.” Says Pooja.

Pooja wants to become a successful leader in professional life and to be known and appreciated for her work in the industry. She says, “I wish to balance my professional life with my personal responsibilities and hence lead a happy and fulfilling life.”

On asking why did she feel, that an MBA degree would best satisfy the vision to realize her goal, Pooja says “Though I was performing well at my job, I knew that to achieve my goals and to stay competitive, I had to increase the breadth of my knowledge base, instead of just increasing the depth. An MBA degree would equip me with the knowledge and skills required to become a successful leader. The case study pedagogy will help me understand the strategies applied by companies and get into the minds of the decision makers. Also, an MBA will help me adopt a holistic approach to business and form resourceful connections.”  

We asked her what made her choose NMIMS, over a host of other institutions? Pooja proudly said, NMIMS is one of the top b-schools in India. It is located in the financial hub of the country which gives its students an edge over other b-school students. The exposure to corporate giants in the form of frequent guest lectures, conferences and corporate projects lead to overall development of the students. The strong Alumni network ensures that we have a good hold in the industry and are able to forge even deeper industry associations. The faculty at NMIMS is among the best in the country with professors being trained from Harvard as part of an exchange program. Also, the 22 clubs and committees ensure that it’s not all about work at NMIMS!

On asking whether she is likely to recommend her college to other aspirants? Pooja’s quick reply was “Yes, definitely. NMIMS is the place to be if a student is looking for holistic development. With great course structure, outstanding faculty and a plethora of activities to choose from, NMIMS helps create leaders of tomorrow.”

Talking about her post MBA professional life, Pooja confidently says that five years down the line, I see myself developing strategies for growth for the organisation I’m employed in.  I would also like to manage a team of dynamic individuals who work towards achieving the best numbers in the business.

mukti-malooMukti Maloo is a Computer Science Engineer and an MBA in Marketing from NMIMS, and recently placed with Kellogg India Pvt Ltd.as Management Trainee through campus placement.

As she is an engineer turned MBA, we asked her when she first realized that MBA should be her path of success.

Mukti says, “I worked for almost 7 months after pursuing my engineering degree. Some would say that it’s too little time but for me it was enough to know that the role of an engineer is changing at a rapid pace and he/she is likely to implement new practices and technologies in an organisation. With this, comes the requirement of specific skills such as negotiation, networking, etc which I knew an MBA could equip me with. Also, I could never see myself in a back-end technical role with a stop-start career trajectory and so an MBA was a natural choice.”

Getting along a good MBA college was not really easy for Mukti since she was working while preparing for my MBA. “There was hardly any time to prepare for the entrances since the exams were only a few months away. Thankfully, I got an admission in NMIMS and I was happy to join it, since it is one of the top institutes in Mumbai as well as in India. It’s location in the financial hub of the country ensures that the students get to constantly interact with corporates and are in sync with the requirements of the industry” Says Mukti.

Sharing her student life at NMIMS, Mukti said, “NMIMS provided me with several opportunities! From numerous committees, corporate projects to competitions, every student has plethora of avenues to better themselves! Being a part of different committees and clubs like the Student Council, Mantavya (literary and quizzing club) etc. helped me enhance my skills in editorial, leadership, digital marketing, events, organisation and management. The corporate projects helped me put my learning into practice. The compulsory NGO internship as part of the We Care program at NMIMS, helped me give back to the society through my newly learnt managerial skills. I interned with a school for the disabled. In fact, I’m still in contact with them and handle their Facebook promotions from time to time. In all, NMIMS ensures that each of its students has a holistic growth and helps transform them into leaders of the future!”

We asked her if she regrets her decision of not having chosen a typical technical field after engineering swiftly said “Not at all! Having already obtained a technical degree, an MBA completed my education in the wider areas of management such as finance, marketing, human resource management, organisational behaviour, and management strategy. Also, I always knew I was more inclined towards a managerial role than a hard core technical one, so pursuing an MBA was the right choice.”

Mukti’s advice to aspirants is – Identify your interests! If this is what you want to do, get into a good school and chart your course well, with all opportunities on offer. Be open to learning, from all avenues.